the bottom ten
June 8, 2011 § Leave a comment
Some hang-ups that didn’t quite make the top ten list but deserve a nod anyway. There aren’t even ten of them. In no particular order:
1. Bus ride from Agadir to Essaouira sitting behind a baby. It threw up about a half hour in.
2. 2:30am hotel search. We had decided to skip the reservations and wing-it in Agadir. The first 3 doorbells we rang simply echoed with a depressing resonance. A fourth doorbell produced a bell-hop, who told us they were all full, though I suspect he just didn’t feel like filing out the paperwork. Eventually we suckered one bellhop/doorman into waking up the hotel manager, and climbed three flights to our room just shy of 4am.
3. Getting ripped off at the Marrakech train station by a punk kid.
4. Summer sniffles; Being sick for about 1/3 of the time.
5. Sitting on a camel. Not recommended.
6. 6k hike to “dinosaur prints”, then deciding to run back to our hotel. However, when we got there, the water was out of commission, meaning one smelly/sweaty hike down the mountain and taxi to Azilal.
7. I insisted that Luke and I take a picture together, so on our last night in Essaouria, I propped the camera up on a pole and we mapped out a pose. As though choreographed, a gust of wind blew the camera off the post and as I stepped forward to retrieve it, a bird relieved itself. And it got me.
That’s about it. Relatively hassle-free. Here’s the last of the photos, from our trip to Morocco’s windy city, Essaouria.